• You can also find the home of the

Aftermath Mod here

http://snej.org/forum/index.php?board=674.0
gfx gfx
gfx
November 16, 2018, 06:01:24 PM
gfx gfx
gfx* Home Help Search Login Registergfx

Author Topic: Has development stopped?  (Read 1710 times)

Offline ZeratchiTopic starter

• Little Pickpocket
Has development stopped?
« on: July 31, 2016, 08:59:23 PM »
Hi!

I was just wondering if you guys have stopped development of the game?

If so, would there be any chance for you to release a source code for someone else to continue? (Or do as they please with it)

Best regards,
Zeratchi.

Offline SpiKe.

• Global Moderator
  • Witch Doctor Endugu
    • Reign of Shadow
Re: Has development stopped?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2016, 09:17:23 PM »
Hi,

i think i can speak for Seltsamuel since i often talk to him. Development is not stopped but paused i would say. Seltsamuel have not much times besides of family and work right now, which will may change in near future.
Sadly i have to tell you, that he will start working on the new D2SE Version and some other things before he continue with Snej.

Greetings
Spike.

Offline Helix

• Boneash
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2016, 09:48:27 AM »

If so, would there be any chance for you to release a source code for someone else to continue?

In my oppinion, thats a great idea!

Offline SpiKe.

• Global Moderator
  • Witch Doctor Endugu
    • Reign of Shadow
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2016, 11:10:36 AM »
In my oppinion, thats a great idea!
Seltsamuel will read this at the weekend when he's back from work. But i don't think that he will release the Source for any reason!

Offline BARBY

• PactofEvil
  • Witch Doctor Endugu
  • Ich seh Dich.
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2016, 01:44:58 PM »
How often we have a discussion like this?
I understand you guys, its really frustrating to see, hm? Nothing?
But the development isnt stopped. Without Seltsamuel the Snej Mod would be dead.
I know whereof I speak. I saw the Sanctus Mod after the patch 0.99. And honstely i thought it is easier to carry on a old project. But after 1,5 years modding the sanctus mod, i can say it is not easy. There are maybe 5 or 6 active modder with the knowledge and the willing to work at Snej. But without Seltsamuel is it impossible to release a patch in a few weeks. So give him time to manage his RL and we will see.

Greetings

Barby
21.10.2011 (16:43:54)alpha: du bist der chef

Mathrigo : Du bist und bleibst unnormal...^^, aber wie gesagt ist ja deine Arbeit

Sanctus Mod PoE Database
Sanctus Mod PoE Changelogs
Modresources
Mod Download

Offline ZeratchiTopic starter

• Little Pickpocket
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2016, 07:20:44 PM »
Hi!

It is fun to see that after all this time that you guys are still active.

Snej mod for me is by far the best mod for Diablo 2. Love all the additional content, but still keeping the classical feeling of the game.
Which is why I think it is such a shame that further updates has stopped, it is understandable, but still a shame.

Mods like Medial XL was just a load of clusterf*ck, even though it has gained quite the popularity.

But I hope that you/the team/Seltsamuel will continue working on Snej in the future, as it is the greatest mod out there for Diablo 2!

Best regards,
Zeratchi

Offline Zerum

• Global Moderator
  • Nihlathak
  • http://zerum.owns.it/
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2016, 02:00:25 PM »
It is absolutely understandable, why this question was and will be repeated continiously, regarding the release of Snej Version 6.0 was already 8 years ago, from now.
Patience is no word for what you need, if you are waiting explicit for a new Snej version, but on the other hand, Seltsamuel always repeated that the Mod isnt dead, that he will continue modding when he has the time (and the spirit?) for it and that already (quoting right here) most of the work for Snej Version 6.1 is already done.

My opinion always was, that it'd be better to release small appetizers of patches with new content & balancing over the time, instead of a long period of.. yea, nothing, and then wipe everything else with a bagger288-patch.
But however, Seltsamuel does it the way he does it, and im sure, in the end it will pay off.
D2Lunatics Realm-Admin
Ex-D2Maniacs Admin

Offline kiki22vu

• Smith
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2016, 02:40:23 PM »

Offline Seltsamuel

• Administrator
  • Duriel
    • Snej-Mod Homepage
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2016, 09:24:31 PM »
Hi,

thx for all the kind words and worries about a new version.
Yes my time is more than limited and not only now but since a verry long time .. but at least Snej isnt dead and development will continue as its my personal hobby and gets all the time i have for a hobby.
Priority at the moment is a D2SE Version that will bring the prerequisites for a new Snej version and at least is a solution for this f.... 1.14x versions buggering me more than ever before. Blizzard should have quit doing senseless patches but instead destroy every existing modsystem. As i just quit my Job a few days ago (again) and expect to be recruited for a new job maybe next week i will know on tuesday if i have more time for modding now or have to spend more time to get worked into my new job.
In regards to give away the sources .. Snej is heavy code depending and as i am a programmer the focus always will be on expanding and replacing code giving us splendid new features and capabilities.. and much of the new level, monster and item gfx depend on new code too that isnt finished yet and additionally needs new tools to get developed. Parts of this will get included as optional features of D2SE so that together with the tools other mods can benefit from it too. I dont want to sound like a jerk but im sure i only know maybe about 2-3 people that are even maybe capable to take over and continue on this work and all of these have quit or ar busy on own projects. Im sure its much easyer to start a own mod project and get the head into it from the beginning on than try to understand a real complex mod that has additionally several thousand lines of code that you need to understand too and that is bridged with another several thousand lines of code from D2SE as its not only the modlauncher but also the base of my D2SE Modsystem that is still under development too...  in short this means .. to take this over you must:
1. Be a modder knowing the txts in and out on a mod of the class of Snej / Median / ES / RoS as technically these are on a close level regarding txt edits.
2. You have to know the D2 Code really good to understand the edits and the many detours into own C code as i not only patch code inside the .dll files but also replace entire functions with own C code in my own .dll file.
3. You must be really good in assembly and also must have a good grip on ollydebug.
4. Be a able to develop your own D2mod System from ground up as the in development D2SE Modsystem is mainpart of all of my Code used in Snej as i not use external plugins.

All in all ... i dont think that it makes any sense. And as told development is not dead and other people working on more than only some txt files would have great potential to result in conflicts later you may ask some of the old staff about how good it is when several modder work on the same files, we already had this.

At least at the moment im back working every weekend on a solution for D2SE which  is at least still a major part of Snej too even if you not see this the way it is as its just splittet from Snej for public use.

Greetings

Seltsamuel

Offline moscito

• Web Mage the Burning
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2016, 03:40:39 PM »
keep on doing your job, and keep on working on D2SE, which in my opinion is a milestone in the history of D2-modding, and hopefully keep on modding on Snej.
Last but not least spend your time with wife and family, what should always have the highest priority :)
Acc: moscito
----------------------

„Viele Frauen wissen nicht, was sie wollen, aber sie sind fest entschlossen, es zu bekommen.“ (Peter Ustinov)

Snejportal  |  Snej the game  |  General discussion (Moderators: SirSamusAran, }{eadhunter)  |  Topic: Has development stopped?

gfxgfx
gfx
SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines  Snejtheme V2 by Seltsamuel/Faust (based on Helios Multi by Bloc)
gfx