• You can also find the home of the

Aftermath Mod here

http://snej.org/forum/index.php?board=674.0
gfx gfx
gfx
November 20, 2018, 01:33:30 PM
gfx gfx
gfx* Home Help Search Login Registergfx

Author Topic: has anyone gotten past act 1 with a caster?  (Read 1631 times)

Offline asdfgCTopic starter

• Little Pickpocket
has anyone gotten past act 1 with a caster?
« on: July 08, 2017, 06:32:09 AM »
I've tried necro and sorc, they don't really seem that good.

Offline Istaryu

• Bloodraven
Re: has anyone gotten past act 1 with a caster?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 01:15:30 PM »
I played a caster pala LONG ago, i made it to act4 nightmare before i called it a day.

Offline Eruditio

• Shenk
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 12:45:57 PM »
Ele druid does pretty well against trash.  Need to dance a lot with stamina pots for Andy.

Offline metalistas

• Coldworm
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 05:54:58 PM »
Geting there slowly. Will update when boss goes down.

Offline Mathematics

• Unknown Lord
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2017, 09:32:21 PM »
In the next update, I will buff the casters.  Items with +skills are really important.
The superior man may indeed endure want, but the inferior man, when he experiences want, will give into unbridled excess. - The Ethics of Confucius

Offline mahitovec

• Smith
    • TWITCH
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2017, 09:33:52 PM »
Nice! Can we expect LE fix this weekend?  :D :'(

Offline Mathematics

• Unknown Lord
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2017, 04:15:28 AM »
Hopefully here tomorrow.
I have been trying to fix the FE issue - ie either instakill or nothing.  Damage is not scaling with mlvl.  Necrolis is helping me figure out why.  (That's what is holding me up)
The superior man may indeed endure want, but the inferior man, when he experiences want, will give into unbridled excess. - The Ethics of Confucius

Offline Istaryu

• Bloodraven
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2017, 01:31:13 PM »
In the next update, I will buff the casters.  Items with +skills are really important.

What changes can we expect? The biggest problem is the huge manacost on big skills and super slow mana regen, and not the lack of dmg. At least thats what i remember when i tried to make a sorc as first char.

Offline Mathematics

• Unknown Lord
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2017, 06:47:27 PM »
I halved the starting mana costs but doubled the rate at which the costs grows.

Offline metalistas

• Coldworm
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2017, 02:10:34 PM »
I tried really hard to think of things that might give caster sorc a chance to win and i failed. Firstly i think about act bosses fights since white mobs cause no challenge after few level ups and rare gears.
First of thinking about casters i only though about paladin (has a heal skill), druid (has no restriction to use transform into melee for bosses), necro (has summons to distract) and sorc. Played sorc up to Andariel. Farming gold and xp is average or even above average since sorc has few skills that constantly deal auto damage to enemies around. Kiting and avoiding contact with monsters works fine and cause no problems. Main problems appear when fighting act boss. After area is clear and 1 vs 1 mana issues come into play. 4 mana for small skills, 80 mana for big skills.
Small skills do almost no damage and can be spammable. But when you do that boss comes into melee range, poisons and kills you. Hp regen is bad, no other source of hp feedback - dead in few moments.
Big skills do small damage, but you can only cast few of them and run around for mana to regen. Since mana regen is around 120s for full 525mp bubble - there is almost no way you can make this strategy work. Also same problems with hp regen, feedback. Once you are poisoned + in range - game over.
Plus Andy had mana drain.
Imagining this i can only predict Duriel will be a lot worse. Area is smaller, boss faster and melee based.

The main problem for sorc is - no way to keep hp from disapearing. You can add +skills to redicolous levels until you one shot boss, but that is no fun.
Removing mana drain will only allow to cast few more spells and result remains the same.
Giving sorc a summon skill, some sort of heal skill ? - not sure if possible or even desired.
Increasing mp/hp regen drastically - would probably imbalance late game.

Offline Istaryu

• Bloodraven
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2017, 03:16:36 PM »
I aggree mana is tough early, and decreasing mana costs wont really help at bosses. You can cast twice as many spells for sure, but then again, you are toast. Maybe try inreasing base mana regen, and decreasing the manaregen energy gives?

Offline metalistas

• Coldworm
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2017, 06:23:49 PM »
More mana, more spells, more skills = all these things will eventually lead to one thing - more damage. And that does not help survival at boss. Maybe you can cheese Andy somehow with single target spells while keeping shamans alive and killing minions for hp after kill. But with other bosses you gonna have to be super sayian to 2-4 shot boss or he will get in your face and you are done.

I have sorc class charm from act 4 but still reserve from using on act 1 char just to see how things go. Maybe that summon blade helps but i doubt it will tank boss long enough.

Offline Istaryu

• Bloodraven
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2017, 12:28:49 AM »
I don't think you can 4shot bosses without twinked gear.

Offline Mathematics

• Unknown Lord
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2017, 05:35:40 PM »
How many items do you have with +skills / +skilltabs?  You should have +3 as a minimum.

I will look at the sorc and her healing.

Offline Eruditio

• Shenk
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2017, 09:50:47 AM »
I wouldn't mind if spammable skills start (or eventually) get to 0 cost (ie bolt skills).   This lets players still cast something while waiting for mana to recover for the big skills.  Diablo 3 does this well.  Is it possible for negative costs to give mana back? :)

Snejportal  |  D2SE  |  D2SE Mods  |  Aftermath  |  General Discussion (Moderator: Mathematics)  |  Topic: has anyone gotten past act 1 with a caster?

gfxgfx
gfx
SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines  Snejtheme V2 by Seltsamuel/Faust (based on Helios Multi by Bloc)
gfx